Nine months passed from kickoff to definition and realization of adjustments to rollout and migration of all projects including subprojects to PLANTA: the rollout for the Connector Solutions area took from April 2014 to January 2015.
Implementation of Process Model Solves All Problems
The Excel templates were replaced. Now each development project is carried out in PLANTA by the same standards with schedule, checklist, and process model. The development resources are planned, the prioritization is done on the basis of resource planning and commercial details in PLANTA and in the future also with objective value contribution and risk values.
Matthias Möst (project manager for Connector Solutions at Yamaichi Electronics) describes the benefits of the software implementation as follows: “The implementation of the PLANTA project approval process is one of the greatest improvements. All projects are started with adherence to the same rules (idea — proposal — project). This process is sustained continuously and can no longer be bypassed. The sales force creates an idea with all information required to make further decisions. The product manager decides whether it is a “reasonable” idea and all information is really available. He/she then turns the idea into a proposal. The decision whether a proposal is turned into a project and when it is to be launched is decided on the basis of check criteria. Before the approval of the project, no hours are worked for the project (no work reporting).
Yamaichi Electronics Conclusion: Actually Achieved Objectives
- Better realization of defined project processes
- Improved project management and therefore a more professional handling of projects
- More efficient use of resources in individual projects as well as in the portfolio (by prioritization)
- Better predictability of single projects (dates, costs, quality)
- Separation by ideas, proposals, and projects was a real milestone
- Resource planning is continuously implemented
- All project planning is done in one program